As humans, we love checking our progress. Knowing how far you have gone with writing a document or meeting a target gives us the extra wind to complete the job. Therefore, the computer helps us keep proper records of stats while typing.
Would you like to know the number of words typed? The number of lines? Number of Paragraphs? Character count? All these stats are available even while you work if you know where to look. Unlike Microsoft word, google docs do not display word count unless you request it. Word count gives you a broader picture of the work done.
Below is a step by step guideline on how to check your character count after typing:
- Select the document whose word count you want to check
- Open the document using Google Docs
- On the Google Docs tab, locate and click the Tools button.
- Click on word count.
You check the word count using this method after typing. Clicking the word count icon displays:
- Word count
- Character count
After viewing the stat, you can close the window by clicking the Done button in the dialog box.
Guess the question right now is, what if you want to know the word count and character count as you type?
Follow these steps if you want to be able to view these stats while typing:
- On the word count dialog box, check "Display word count while typing"
- Now the word count box becomes visible on the bottom left corner of the screen
- Click on the box to display stats like the number of characters, pages, and word count.